Improving Market Perceptions and Establishing a Position for Sustainable GrowthJanuary 29, 2014 | By Wayne O'Neill
Specialty contractor with an emphasis on electrical and network services focusing on healthcare, higher education, data centers and water infrastructure clients.
CLIENT GOALS: REDEFINING VALUE AND REBUILDING RELATIONSHIPS
A change in ownership, poor performance and a negative perception with general contractors (GC’s) led to declining business in this company’s largest geographic market. To recover and build for the future, the client needed to:
- Redefine their value
- Rebuild relationships with GCs
OUR DELIVERY PATH
Unified Value Message: In the past, each person would communicate the company’s value in their own way. We helped them unify their value message, helped them assess the operational savings they could deliver when they were properly involved and leveraged during project conceptualization.
Blitz Meetings: We facilitated a series of blitz meetings between the client and the twelve largest GCs serving their geographic market. The meetings enabled clear and open communication about strategic goals, business value and opportunities to collaborate. The client was able to better describe their value, and could demonstrate how involving them earlier in the construction process saves the client money through proper planning and solutions. In turn, it makes the GC look good.
Leveraged Connections: Through our extensive network of industry relationships, we were able to help reinstate the client’s status as an acceptable contractor with the largest for profit hospital chain in the United States. This relationship led to a major project for our client and further positioned them for future work.
Intelligence Dashboard: We provided our proprietary cloud-based solution – The Intelligence Dashboard – thereby enabling the company to track and manage important information about the GCs and upcoming projects.
CLIENT IMPACT: RECOVERY AND LONG-TERM SUSTAINABLE GROWTH
As a result, our client recovered and is positioned for long-term sustainable growth:
- Project teams are now booked two years in advance
- This satellite office now generates more profitable revenue than the other Texas locations, including the company headquarters
- Developed capability of the company principals to apply a disciplined, collaborative and sustainable process to win profitable business on an on-going basis
- Increased internal collaboration between the sales teams of two different services, which resulted in more projects that both departments were involved with
- Coached them on how to identify other firms that are going to help them shape future work, versus focus only on projects already in procurement