6 Steps to the Top Demand AdventureNovember 19, 2012 | By Wayne O'Neill
According to Jeff Salz, keynote speaker at the recent TCUF Conference, getting to the top demands adventure, like it or not. Jeff defines adventure as: “Any intentional experience that substantially alters our perspectives long enough to see things we have never seen before – and to see familiar things in ways we have never before seen them.”
“In the old days, adventurers would go out, make the maps and shared those maps for everyone else to follow. Today, adventure comes to us every day. We have all become adventurers whether we like it or not. We strive for the mountaintops but we do not know what will be there when we get there. Life is not a destination, it’s a journey. Not so much anymore. Life is more of a dance.” says Dr. Jeff Salz, Explorer, Anthropologist, Mountaineer, Author, and TV Personality. While safely guiding organizations through the turbulent seas of change and facilitating enhanced teamwork in organizations by helping them build ‘cultures of authenticity’, Jeff encourages adventurous thinking in order to create a truly meaningful workplace and presents a unique perspective on taking risks. Jeff’s roadmap for change:
- Enhance teamwork by creating a culture of participation
- Foster innovation by becoming fearless in the face of failure
- Empower your team by setting a goal higher than Everest –
- Optimize energy with the power of the aliveness factor
Jeff’s Six Steps to the Top – the tools adventurers use to be the best they have ever been.
- Leap Before You Look – The antidote to paralysis by analysis, bold action leads to discoveries that remain inaccessible to those who are afraid to risk.
- Aim Higher Than Everest – An infectious atmosphere of support and excitement is created when teams set audacious goals and share a common vision.
- Give it All You’ve Got – Discover the impact of generosity, sharing resources, ideas, insights, perspectives and best practices.
- Work Some Magic – Learn to see a world that does not yet exist. Engage the imagination, expand creativity and create the future from the magician’s perspective.
- Keep On Your Bearing – Nothing creates more synergy in a team than embracing a culture of service. Teams that are in service to each other are teams that can overcome any obstacle or adversity. They are unstoppable.
- Enjoy The View – Celebrating success unites cultures, communities and entire nations of diverse individuals. So why is it so rare in organizational teams? Take the time to honor your accomplishments, soak up success and gain new insights from looking at life from the Mountaintop Perspective.
- Create an atmosphere of service, support, camaraderie and bold vision.
- Give teams a common language of adventure.
- Recharge and align around a shared sense of purpose and possibility.
- Remember what it’s like to work together with synergy and passion.
- Establish a culture that celebrates innovation, courage and collaboration.
TCUF (Association of Texas College & University Facilities Professionals) 2012 Conference Keynote Speaker Jeff Salz http://www.cvent.com/events/tcuf-2012-conference/event-summary-76fc3ad156bf418ebd41b15d0361395c.aspx
Jeff Salz Speech Clip http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7465322920206608123
The Inspired Team: The Six Steps to the Top http://www.truenorthalliance.com/Programs/inspired.php